FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Small bug - name resolution Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
doron

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jun 12, 2006 15:37 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hello,

Let me first thank you for a great, great program. It has exactly what I was missing from SE, and done *very* nicely.

There's a small thing you may want to consider fixing: the resolution Number --> Name, in some cases, does not work well (or, to be more precise, MPE does not do it the same way mobile phones do it).

To have a phone number (either in the calls listings, or in the SMS folders etc.) be presented as a contact name, it appears as if the number needs to be identical to the number in the contact. If, for example, the number in the contact has a +countrycode prefix, and the incoming caller ID does not, the indication will be "unknown". Same goes for incoming calls, etc.

In contrast, the phones (I think practically all phones) compare just the last 7 digits (sometimes only 6) and ignore the rest. If a match is found, they present the name. This fixes all kinds of issues with roaming, with contacts having/not having country codes in them, etc.

It might make sense modifying MPE to follow this practice as well.

Many thanks!
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jun 12, 2006 17:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Dou you have installed the newest version ? The Countryindexes "+" or "00" are also parsed, this should be no problem. Have you an examplenumber to reproduce the error ?
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
doron

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jun 12, 2006 23:33 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

FJ hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Dou you have installed the newest version ? The Countryindexes "+" or "00" are also parsed, this should be no problem. Have you an examplenumber to reproduce the error ?

I am running 1.4.4 - I assume this is the newest?

The issue is not just the + and the 00. Let me give you a couple of examples.

1. Say my country code is 972. The following two numbers:

+972505654321

will get to the same phone, if dialed within the country. If I have the first one in memory for a contact (the "canonical form" if you will), and I get a call (or SMS) with caller ID being the 2nd, MPE will not resolve the call or message as coming from that contact. The phone will.

2. A more complicated example: sometimes, I'd enter something like this into a memory location:

+*31#972505654321

The "*31#" tells the phone to reveal my caller ID when I call this particular contact, whereas the called ID is hidden for others.

Again, if a call comes in with a caller ID being either of the two examples in (1) above, MPE will not identify the name. The phone will.

Practically all handsets solve this issue by comparing only the last 7 digits during the lookup (older handsets did 6). This way, you get rid of all the leading "noise".

(there is a theoretical possibility that you'd have two memory locations for different contacts where the last 7 digits are identical. This is theoretical though (1:10,000,000) and is being ignored.)

Thanks!
user_deleted
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Jun 13, 2006 08:50 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi Doron,

the latest (beta-) version is 1.4.5 an it's available here.
The topic and link to this download in forum was only in german, but however this version is multilanguage off course.

br ...
doron

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Jun 13, 2006 12:17 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Mr. Deauville hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Hi Doron,

the latest (beta-) version is 1.4.5 an it's available here.
The topic and link to this download in forum was only in german, but however this version is multilanguage off course.

br ...

Thanks! Just installed it. It behaves a bit differently in this respect (as could be expected from FJ's response above), but still short of what the handsets do.

(just to clarify - problem still there with 1.4.5, although MPE's behavior seems to have slightly changed).

Thanks!
Doron
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.