FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Incoming SMS name cannot be displayed Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
mervinbok
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Apr 08, 2006 05:41 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi, first of all, fantastic program. but here is one enhancement that you might want to work on.

See, all sms sent to us will have a +XX in front of the cellphone number. this +XX is the country code of the telco which the sms is sent from. for example, Singapore will be +65 and USA +01.

So, each sms will have the sender as +6512345678, where 12345678 is the cellphone number of the sms sender. The MPE program will do a lookup in the phonebook to identify the name of the sender by the cellphone number. But, problem is that in our phone books, we do not add the +65 in front of the cellphone number we are calling / sending sms to as they are 'local calls' and not overseas calls. So the number in my phonebook will be 12345678, without the +65.

MPE is then unable to identify the matching name to the incoming sms number and will just display the incoming sms number.

Is there a workaround to lookup the cell numbers from the back and 'match up' the incoming sms number and sender name. Another way to do it is to simply truncating the 1st few charecters when doing the lookup. I think in the cellphone itself, it has such a feature. The Nokia sms offline software has this additional feature so i'm not sure if it is too difficult to add a couple more lines of code into lookup coding.

Let me know if you need someone to help test out the new code with this feature.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using SE K750i without branding.
WinXP SP2, Bluetooth to connect thru serial port.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Apr 08, 2006 08:05 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

MPE is already able to translate international numers. A sample -
In europe there are three numberformats:
+43 664 1234567
0043 664 1234567
0664 1234567

These three numbers have the same reciepient and MyPhoneExplorer detects it the right way. I tried it out one moment ago.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
user_deleted
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Apr 08, 2006 08:47 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi mervinbok,

there would be the same effect you described if you have two contacts with the same number.

Sample:
If you have a contact named "John Miller, +6512345678" and you have two entries in your phone, one as "Johnny, 12345678" and anothoer as "Miller John, 12345678", the phone doesnt know which entry should be displayed, so it shows the number.
Please checkout this case.

br...
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: So Apr 09, 2006 16:12 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Well, i'm wondering if MPE is able to do it after i achive my sms.

coz now for numbers in my phonebook that has a +65 in front of the number say (James) +6512345678, MPE is able to lookup the name of the sender: James.

however, if i do not add the +65 in the number and leave it as 12345678, MPE is unable to show the name of the sender. for numbers that have the +65 in front of the number, MPE is able to display that number.

For example: I have these 2 contacts in my phone book.
James: +6512345678
Mary: 87654321

I have downloaded/sync the contact lists from my phone into MPE.

If James and Mary send me an sms each, my phone will register +6512345678 sending me 1 sms and +6587654321 sending me another sms. The names of James and Mary will be displayed correctly in my mobile phone in front of the sms they sent me like this:

James: This is an sms from James.
Mary: This is an sms from Mary.

However, when I download the sms to MPE, the display will be like this...
James This is an sms from James.
+6587654321 This is an sms from Mary.

This is frustrating as I need to lookup the number in my phonebook to identify the person so sent me the sms before achiving it.

I have used Nokia Phone Editor to download and achive my sms when i was using a nokia phone in the past. Nokia PE is able to lookup the name correctly all the time, just like in the phone itself. It will display the downloaded sms as it is in the phone.

Hope this explains my problem. Could you help?
mervinbok
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Apr 11, 2006 08:34 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Well, i'm wondering if MPE is able to do it after i achive my sms.

coz now for numbers in my phonebook that has a +65 in front of the number say (James) +6512345678, MPE is able to lookup the name of the sender: James.

however, if i do not add the +65 in the number and leave it as 12345678, MPE is unable to show the name of the sender. for numbers that have the +65 in front of the number, MPE is able to display that number.

For example: I have these 2 contacts in my phone book.
James: +6512345678
Mary: 87654321

I have downloaded/sync the contact lists from my phone into MPE.

If James and Mary send me an sms each, my phone will register +6512345678 sending me 1 sms and +6587654321 sending me another sms. The names of James and Mary will be displayed correctly in my mobile phone in front of the sms they sent me like this:

James: This is an sms from James.
Mary: This is an sms from Mary.

However, when I download the sms to MPE, the display will be like this...
James This is an sms from James.
+6587654321 This is an sms from Mary.

This is frustrating as I need to lookup the number in my phonebook to identify the person so sent me the sms before achiving it.

I have used Nokia Phone Editor to download and achive my sms when i was using a nokia phone in the past. Nokia PE is able to lookup the name correctly all the time, just like in the phone itself. It will display the downloaded sms as it is in the phone.

Hope this explains my problem. Could you help?
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Apr 12, 2006 16:48 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

In my and the most other countrys there must be a zero on the first position if its a national number. +43123456 = 0043123456 = 0123456 .
I didn't knew that you can dial in your country numbers without this zero-prefix so i didn't take care about this in my search-algorythm. Anyway - i have fixed it, please wait for the next update.
Mervin Bok
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 14, 2006 06:29 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Thank you! I'm sure if Nokia could do it, you can do it as well or every better than nokia! Anyway, could you send it over to me for testing of the code? I'll feedback if it is working or not. If you want to email me, i'll provide my email address.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 14, 2006 06:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Please send me a mail, so i can see your mailaddy
Mervin Bok
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 14, 2006 19:11 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi FJ,

Email has been sent! Pls check your mail box. Thanks!
Mervin Bok
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Apr 17, 2006 14:15 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi FJ,

Did you receive my email? And have u emailed the program to me? i'm still waiting for it...

Thanks!!!
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Apr 17, 2006 16:21 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes, i've sent the mail. Please register in my forum so i can give you the downloadlink via PM.
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.