FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Security Questions Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
VicB

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Apr 08, 2023 14:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hello,
I'm a new user. This is a very nice program, but I have some questions regarding security. It might be that I've just misunderstood some things.

In the Android phone app, under Settings, I've entered a Wi-Fi PIN. However, I'm never asked to enter this PIN when I proceed to make the PC connection. In fact, as far as I've seen, I'm never challenged for this PIN, so what function does it serve ?

In the PC program, I've set up a password for my user name. I do then have to enter this password to make the Wi-Fi connection to the phone, but is this password transmitted to the phone ? Does the phone "know" this password ? If not, it would seem that anyone who knows my user name could connect to my phone without knowing either the PIN or the password.

Unless I've misunderstood, it would seem better to set up the PIN and/or the password only on the phone itself and then to require the PIN and/or the password to be entered from the PC when making the Wi-Fi connection. That way, access to the phone is controlled entirely by the phone itself.

Thank you in advance for your help !
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 13, 2023 13:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

The WiFi PIN is additional to the regular WiFi encryption. The use case is: Lets say in your office there is a LAN with several computers and several smartphones. Theoretically every computer in the office can connect to your smartphone. But the first time the WiFi PIN request appears, so if its your working collegue he will not be able to look at your phone to get your PIN. When you enter the right PIN then the desktop Version of MyPhoneExplorer will save the Hash of the PIN and he will automtically use it the next time - because its "your" computer. If you want to test the behaviour then just change the PIN in MyPhoneExplorer Client on your phone. The desktop-Version will not be able to connect until you enter also there the correct PIN.

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
VicB

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 13, 2023 14:04 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Thanks very much for the explanation of the Wi-Fi PIN. It works exactly as you described. So, my understanding now is that the password that is entered when running MPE on the computer is necessary only for running the program, not for connecting to the phone. In effect this prevents someone else from sitting at my PC and connecting to my phone.
It is the PIN that prevents unauthorized access to the phone by someone else running MPE on his/her own PC. Is this correct ?
Thanks again in advance !
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 13, 2023 17:48 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Exactly

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.