FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 MPE with Thunderbird on Linux Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
Pastim

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Okt 23, 2023 09:25 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Has anyone got a recent version of MPE to work with the latest Thunderbird (115) under Linux?

I'm aware there are other related threads, but they have been inactive for a while, and many posts only relate to MPE, not Thunderbird.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Okt 25, 2023 00:42 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

You have to run Thunderbird also in Wine so that MyPhoneExplorer is able to detect and communicate with Thunderbird in Linux

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
Pastim

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Okt 25, 2023 09:08 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Tkanks, I'm well aware of that. Many people, including me, have tried several tricks to make it work, but since a few years ago without success. Some modified the Thunderbird extension to try to make it work, but that hasn't worked for me for a while.

I'll try again, but it would help to know if someone else has had any success.
Pastim

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Okt 25, 2023 16:55 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I can't even get the latest Thunderbird to install cleanly under Wine, so have given up.

The way I used to do it was to install Tbird and MPE under Wine, and link a small number of Tbird files (mainly address book and calendar) to my active Linux version of Tbird. Once upon a time it worked.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Okt 25, 2023 22:45 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Just an idea:
Set up a sync with iCal-File and vCard-File in MyPhoneExplorer on a path where MyPhoneExplorer and Linux have access and gthen set up your Linux Thunderbird to work with those files.

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
Pastim

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Okt 26, 2023 11:03 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

That's a very interesting idea. Thanks very much. I shall look into it.
Pastim

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Okt 28, 2023 16:24 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Thanks to FJ's idea of using local .vcf and .ics files with the Linux version of Thunderbird, I have found that this is possible.

MPE can be used under Wine on Linux, using a 32 bit Wine folder, and adding vb6run using winetricks. This is documented on another thread (the lkast post on https://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7617)

Take backup copies of the calendar and address book you want to use with MPE by exporting them from Thunderbird

Thunderbird itself can use a calendar in a local .ics file. So one can export a current calender to a local ics file, and add it as a new calendar to Thunderbird. The old one can then be removed, and the new one referred to by MPE as a local .ics file. It can modified at will using Thunderbird, changing the .ics file. I'm not quite sure about holiday dates - I currently use a separate holiday calendar file, but I'm fairly sure that can be sorted.

The Address book is a little more complicated, but I can see that it is principle possible. I used the Cardbook extension. This was a little puzzling at first, and I didn't find much well documented help. Whilst it can do lots of things, including taking a copy of a Thunderbird book and then exporting it to a server, the only functionality needed for my purpose is to import a local file containing the address book I want to use. So I exported the Thunderbird address book I want to use as a shared vcf file, and then referred to it at a local address book using Cardbook. Changes made to that book in the Cardbook list of address books change the data in the vcf file. The original Thunderbird-based address book can then be removed so that there's only one copy of each of the addresses.

I'm a little hesitant about making the address book changes permanently, but may well go ahead at some point. I guess my hesitantcy is mainly about relying on a third party extension for my key address book. However, I guess that if the worst comes to the worst I can reimport the vcf file in its entirety back into Thunderbrd, so all would not be lost.
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.