FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Thunderbird and contact/calendar categories. Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Aug 22, 2022 09:28 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi. I'm looking at switching from using Microsoft Outlook on the desktop to Thunderbird. Email is fine, it's just the lack of categorisation of contacts and calendar events that's stopping me at the moment. Basically I categorise contacts and some events and would like to be able to transfer this information to Android. I've read back through the forum and can see why you can't get Thunderbird categories onto Android but I was thinking about how this could be done in a different way.

Contacts: I split my contacts into different folders to go with their categories. On Thunderbird these are different 'Address Books'. Would it be possible, at least as an option, to associate a Thunderbird address book with a Google contact group (or do they refer to them as labels?)? That way you can have equivalence between desktop and phone/tablet. I know it's work on the part of the user to split contacts up this way but an option to do this would be ideal.

Calendars: I assume that I can use 'Manage local calendars' to have equivalent calendars on my phone as on my PC and manually choose which ones sync with each other, as Android uses different calendars instead of different categories?

The 'contacts' suggestion above would get a huge 'thumbs up' from me if it could be implemented ... Smile

icke1954

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Aug 22, 2022 21:02 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Regarding contacts: The Thunderbird AddOn 'Cardbook' also supports categories.

Concerns the use of multiple calendars => https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fjsoft.at%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D24388

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Android 10.0
Samsung Galaxy S20 / Android 13.0
MPE Version 2.1 akt. Nightly / akt. MPE-Client Beta
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail senden
dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Aug 24, 2022 09:07 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

icke1954 hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Regarding contacts: The Thunderbird AddOn 'Cardbook' also supports categories. ....

Been testing this but I can't seem to import any contact photos. Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or an artifact of the carddav standard? Just trying to import from the stock TB address book (v. 102).

.... Concerns the use of multiple calendars => https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fjsoft.at%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D24388

Thanks for that. Didn't realise that MPE could target multiple calendars at once!

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: So Aug 28, 2022 10:35 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Regarding contacts: The Thunderbird AddOn 'Cardbook' also supports categories. ...

If anyone can tell me how to get contact photos transferred (not manually!) to CB as well that'd be appreciated. Posted on the CB forum but nothing back yet.

Concerns the use of multiple calendars => https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fjsoft.at%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D24388

Read that thread but can't seen any way to associate my TB calendars with the ones on the phone. They are set up identically and I can choose all calendars on the phone to 'sync' but can only choose one to 'add events to'. I can see no way to 'assign' the calendars on the phone to the TB ones. What am I missing here?

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: So Aug 28, 2022 13:15 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

dvhttn hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Read that thread but can't seen any way to associate my TB calendars with the ones on the phone. .....

Sorry, found it. I'll put it here in case anyone else has problems .... So, sort your calendars out on TB and create the same calendars on the phone (via MPE's 'Manage local calendars). On the PC, go into MPE -> Settings > Sync -> Events and Tasks. If you choose TB and connect to the phone you will see a link - 'Allocate calendars' to the right of 'Please choose a calendar'.

This brings up a window with 2 columns: folder to sync (your TB calendars) and 'Allocation (your phone calendars). Right click in this column and you can choose which phone calendar to allocate to which TB calendar.

Sorry for stating the obvious if you know how to do it but hopefully some people will find this useful Smile

Still after cardbook photos though .....

icke1954

BeitragVerfasst am: So Aug 28, 2022 20:15 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

If anyone can tell me how to get contact photos transferred (not manually!) to CB as well that'd be appreciated. Posted on the CB forum but nothing back yet.

Please check if you have activated below MPE => F2 => Sync => Contacts/Sync with => Advanced => compare contact photos

I just tested it with me, the contact photos should be transferred

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: So Aug 28, 2022 23:33 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

... Please check if you have activated below MPE => F2 => Sync => Contacts/Sync with => Advanced => compare contact photos

I just tested it with me, the contact photos should be transferred

I have activated that option. But whether I have or haven't done so I get 'Error ... X Loading entries from Thunderbird failed!' if I try to sync with CB. Sync'ing the same phone contacts with a TB address book works OK.

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Aug 29, 2022 23:57 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Just installed the latest 'debug' update for the MPE client on Windows. The release notes mention Thunderbird add-on 3.22 (... fix: the Thunderbird addon was made compatible for Thunderbird 102 (you need addon Version 3.22) ... )

The latest I can find, and the one I have installed, is 3.0.26 - can anyone point me to 3.22? Or is this a typo with the release notes and I really do have a later version??

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Sep 02, 2022 10:00 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

OK. So calendars to Thunderbird have been solved. One calendar per Outlook 'calendar category' and MPE can associate them with the 'same' calendars on my phone.

However contacts are more problematic. Cardbook does support categories but no way to get them from Outlook - and having CB import my TB address book means much information is missing (a CB problem NOT MPEs I hasten to add). Plus a query on their forum has gone unanswered for ages so, for me, CB is not a viable option. When I try using MPE to sync with CB on TB I get the "Loading entries from Thunderbird failed!" message. I'm also hitting a brick wall in trying to get a google/TB sync that keeps labels/categories.

I go back to my original suggestion, and that is to have, at least as an option, a way to associate a TB address book with a Google contact group/label/whatever-they-decide-to-call-it-this-week. Would that be possible? If so I think that a lot of people, not just me, would be very happy!

Thanks.

dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Okt 21, 2022 13:57 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I go back to my original suggestion, and that is to have, at least as an option, a way to associate a TB address book with a Google contact group/label/whatever-they-decide-to-call-it-this-week. Would that be possible? If so I think that a lot of people, not just me, would be very happy!

Thanks.

Anyway that this can be done? Trying to get rid of Outlook completely but it's just this that's the stumbling block. Not got Cardbook to work reliably and still no comeback on their forum (after a couple of months!) to my queries so that's a 'no go'.

FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Okt 21, 2022 15:26 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

There are alot of fields not supported by Thundebird, not only the category.
Tagging thunderbird contacts in the phone makes more problems than it fixes. I would have to rewrite alot parts of the sync-routine in MyPhoneExplorer.

Maybe Thundebird itself will support categories in future since they are based now on vCard. In future i plan to migrate the sync MyPhoneExplorer<->Thunderbird also to vCard which should give you more supported fields.

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Okt 21, 2022 15:44 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

FJ hat Folgendes geschrieben:
There are alot of fields not supported by Thundebird, not only the category.
Tagging thunderbird contacts in the phone makes more problems than it fixes. I would have to rewrite alot parts of the sync-routine in MyPhoneExplorer.

Maybe Thundebird itself will support categories in future since they are based now on vCard. In future i plan to migrate the sync MyPhoneExplorer<->Thunderbird also to vCard which should give you more supported fields.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

icke1954

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Okt 21, 2022 20:01 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Sorry for the late reply Embarassed

The latest I can find, and the one I have installed, is 3.0.26 - can anyone point me to 3.22?

What was meant was of course => 3.0.22 von Juli 2022

I have or haven't done so I get 'Error ... X Loading entries from Thunderbird failed!'

I assume that your cardbook is still empty.
Please create a contact in Cardbook, then the sync should work.
Unfortunately, that's a problem FJ hasn't been able to fix yet.

Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.