FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Daylight saving and Multi-sync, sync files. Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: So Nov 18, 2018 22:48 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Since Italy observes DLT then you must move from UTC+1 to UTC+2 in the spring and back in the fall. For me it's UTC-8 in the winter and UTC-7 in the summer.

So both your phone and PC have UTC+1 timezone now? There's no GMT zones on your Android device - all UTC?

I know the UK observes DLT as well so they would be UTC+0 in winter and UTC+1 in summer.

All I really know for sure is that MPE doesn't realize my file times have not changed and syncs everything twice a year and I wish I could stop it, but I've never heard anyone provide instructions for fixing this in the more than five years I've been complaining about it.

If it doesn't happen for other Android Windows users who live in a place that observes DLT I'd like to know what's causing this for me. I know others have this issue but I don't know their platforms. It must not be a large portion of the MPE users or I would hope it would have been resolved years ago.

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
dc5dd

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Nov 19, 2018 05:16 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Bill Irwin hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Since Italy observes DLT then you must move from UTC+1 to UTC+2 in the spring and back in the fall. For me it's UTC-8 in the winter and UTC-7 in the summer.

So both your phone and PC have UTC+1 timezone now? There's no GMT zones on your Android device - all UTC?

I know the UK observes DLT as well so they would be UTC+0 in winter and UTC+1 in summer.

All I really know for sure is that MPE doesn't realize my file times have not changed and syncs everything twice a year and I wish I could stop it, but I've never heard anyone provide instructions for fixing this in the more than five years I've been complaining about it.

If it doesn't happen for other Android Windows users who live in a place that observes DLT I'd like to know what's causing this for me. I know others have this issue but I don't know their platforms. It must not be a large portion of the MPE users or I would hope it would have been resolved years ago.

When I just started using MPE i noticed this strange problem but it popup very few and far in between but now it is getting ignoring. And if you wasn't aware of the problem it could take a long time to sync or duplicate all the files, this is very bad. I usually don't check since MPE does such a good job of syncing very thing.

Anyway here is what i've noticed. I have my galaxy s8+ set to change to the local time zone that it travels to with me of course. Then when I sync the files it will try to resync all the files and sometimes worst case scenario it will get confused with the timezone change and files modified just before the change and overwrite those with the old version. Beyond that MPE also doesn't handle Daylight savings time correctly since that is also an hour change in time.

The only temp fix is to delete the filesync file and have it cache all the files again. This should be faster than syncing the entire file list.

Hope this helps someone somewhere.
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Nov 19, 2018 13:19 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes, I repeat for the Nth time: ALL my devices ARE into the SAME time zone!
UTC=GMT they are two acronyms for the very same thing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
"Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated to UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It is within about 1 second of mean solar time at 0° longitude,[1] and is not adjusted for daylight saving time. In some countries where English is spoken, the term Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is often used as a synonym for UTC."

The problem is not into MPE but in the way the file system store the datetime
It's a well know problem in many sync tools when dealing, for example, with a sync between NTFS and FAT
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1144/Beating-the-Daylight-Savings-Time-bug-and-getting

dc5dd hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Beyond that MPE also doesn't handle Daylight savings time correctly since that is also an hour change in time.

https://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120211#120211
Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Nov 19, 2018 20:32 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I get that UTC and GMT are both referring to the time at a spot in the UK. What I'm not getting is what I need to do to fix this problem if it's not a bug in MPE.

Your phone and PC have their zones as both UTC or GMT and mine are different. It is the interpretation of this discrepancy that may be causing my issue. I'd like to test that theory but I have no idea how to change one or the other of my devices so that they both have the same designation (UTC or GMT).

There has been so much chatter on this topic over the last five years but not a single instruction on what to do to fix it.

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Nov 20, 2018 14:59 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

It is the interpretation of this discrepancy that may be causing my issue. I'd like to test that theory but I have no idea how to change one or the other of my devices so that they both have the same designation (UTC or GMT).

How to change the time zone depends on the OS, Google is your friend... Very Happy
Here you are an example for Win10 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6401-change-time-zone-windows-10-a.html
For Android: https://support.google.com/android/answer/2841106?hl=en

In the the link I've copied in the previous post there is a list of steps I did long ago on my devices.
Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Nov 20, 2018 19:38 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I have known how to set or change the time zone for my devices for many years. What I'm trying to do is have all devices set to either UTC or GMT, not PC = UTC-8 and Android = GMT-8.

If both your Windows and Android are the same UTC/GMT then it must be possible.

Did you actually implement a "solution" from this article?
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1144/Beating-the-Daylight-Savings-Time-bug-and-getting

This looks like I'd have to hack the source code of some Windows 10 functions. I would expect that the Windows side of MPE would deal with this issue and not require its users to have long forum discussions over several years only to realize the solution is to roll up their sleeves and dive into code modification(s).

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Nov 20, 2018 21:42 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

What I'm trying to do is have all devices set to either UTC or GMT, not PC = UTC-8 and Android = GMT-8.

If both your Windows and Android are the same UTC/GMT then it must be possible.

... I gave up... English is not my language...

It doesn't matter if UTC or GMT, it's the same thing... You only have to set the SAME time difference "-8"
Look better at my screen shots: Windows "call it UTC" and Android "GMT", so mine have two different "names" but have the same time difference, "+1"
Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Nov 02, 2020 00:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Koelner hat Folgendes geschrieben:
It would be nice to fix this bug.

No bug, just a settings problem.

A settings problem that is solved how?

If this is just a settings problem can you, or anyone, tell us how to fix it? Is it fixable by someone without source code?

This mass recopying is wanting to take place again - for the 8th or 10th time. The MPE window shows file time on phone as exactly one hour earlier than time on Windows. If I change my time zone in Windows from Pacific to Mountain - one hour ahead - both times jump ahead an hour when I run a file sync in MPE and still want to sync. MPE is not ignoring a one hour time difference. Where is that set? I can't find it.

I find it astounding that in almost ten years of dealing with this twice each year all I've heard is, "It's not a bug but a settings issue", without any explanation of what to do.

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Nov 03, 2020 13:13 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Jesus... 3 pages for the same question and again you will get the same answer:

You must be sure that BOTH the phone and the pc with MPE running are on the SAME time zone.

That's it... it works... https://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120211#120211

I have just done a sync, the first after DayLight change and the sync took less than 10 seconds!!!

A folder on the pc before the sync

The same folder from MPE view, of course the time is different due to the FAT32 way of handling DST

An extract from MPE's log, clearly written about DST change! Only THREE files to download...

The same folder on the pc after the sync

...if you pay me the flight, hotel, food and any extras I may come to setup both your phone and computer correctly... Cool

Other than this there is anything me or anyone else can do...

Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Nov 03, 2020 22:11 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Giangi:

Thank you for taking the time to provide the evidence that you are not suffering from this issue. The three pages of this thread, over many years, have convinced me that there are very few people with this issue. I have explained that my Android 10 phone is GMT -08:00 and my Windows 10 PC is set at UTC -08:00 and I continue to experience this mass copy twice a year.

I have heard that the problem is caused by the way a FAT filesystem stores the date but without any suggestion of a way to resolve this.

When I am reviewing a potential sync I see exactly one hour time difference, which I've read is supposed to be ignore by MPE, but is not for me.

Although I would love to meet you at a time when international flights don't require a quarantine period, what would be more useful is a precise description of what you would do if you were sitting with my PC and phone to fix this. I have spent 40+ years in IT working with computer configurations and I have developed proficiency in following instructions.

So, imagine you are at my desk. What - exactly - would you do to a PC that's set at UTC -08:00 and a Galaxy S9+ that's set to GMT -08:00?

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Nov 04, 2020 00:08 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Bill, obviously my offer was a joke... Laughing
Anyway, did you have "debug" enabled? It's somewhere in the settings (I'm on phone and don't have the pc handy). Do a sync and check the log, the button is close to the debug flag.
Post here a small extract, you should find something close to my picture above.
If debug was already enabled you may find older rows too.
Really, other than setting the time zone there isn't anything else to do!

Btw, I'm on IT a little bit less than you: only 30 years... Wink

Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Nov 04, 2020 04:21 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I knew you weren't serious about coming to beautiful Vancouver, BC Canada.

Before I can proceed I now have a new problem due to updating the MPE version on my PC - all the file transfer jobs disappeared! I have been using my Windows laptop for the last few weeks while I work on my PC and I saw the same DST mass sync determination there as well, so I know it's not my PCs, unless they are both misconfigured the same way. I recall storing the file that defines the transfers in an area that I can easily include in my remote backup so the new version likely is looking in the default location.

I would love to be able to provide screen shots but it seems this forum does not permit pasting graphics but must load them from a URL on the web and I don't manage a web server and have no inclination to create one just to share photos here. If you know of a way to include images in a forum post without a URL I'm all ears!

Stay tuned as I fix this issue before I can run file transfers again.

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Bill Irwin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Nov 04, 2020 07:55 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

It's a miracle! After the MPE update wiped out the settings.dat file that contains all the file transfer jobs and I updated it with my backup, the file syncs stopped wanting to copy every file and only selected those that actually changed. I have no idea why this suddenly started working after eight years and sixteen syncs of all files.

I checked my laptop, which has the same UTC -08:00 TZ as my PC, and it still sees every file as exactly one hour apart, syncing to the same phone. So now the mystery deepens. I will take a solution without knowing why over no solution, but I really want to know why this is now working so I can do the same thing with the laptop.

Both computers have the same version of Windows 10. I wish I had tested a sync before updating MPE to know if it was the update that fixed it. If that is true then it likely means one of the changes I made in the MPE configuration over the years broke this.

WiFi connection
Android MPE 1.0.74
Windows MPE 1.8.15
Giangi

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Nov 04, 2020 15:26 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

It's a miracle! After the MPE update wiped out the settings.dat file that contains all the file transfer jobs and I updated it with my backup, the file syncs stopped wanting to copy every file and only selected those that actually changed.

but I really want to know why this is now working so I can do the same thing with the laptop.

My best bet is that you had some dirty settings somewhere... maybe some kind of leftover of an old MPE version...

BTW: for images I use Imgur with Greenshot, the first let you upload without an account and the second has a plugin that support the anonymous upload! And has a tool to scramble picture areas to mask any personal data you do not want to leave... Wink

Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.