FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 FRENCH language file Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
newlog

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Aug 19, 2014 12:30 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hello French MPE users

The FR language file provided with MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_1.8.6 is marred with several mistranslations. Among a few

delete => supprimer [NOT effacer]
upload => envoyer [NOT télécharger]
download => télécharger [NOT récupérer]
edit => éditer [NOT modifier]
missing accented capital letters

etc.

Here is a PDF showing all differences, so that you can judge by youself:

http://4s6ypmyo71.1fichier.com/

And here is a the corrected language file

http://1jlskx35wp.1fichier.com/

Use freely, and many many thanks to the author!

NL
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Sep 04, 2014 21:06 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Many thanks for your information. I will forward this info to my french translator.

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
xmh

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Sep 05, 2014 12:14 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hello there,

I don't understand "marred" can you explain?

Thank you newlog for your effort to enhance my translation. I'm OK with your submit. I even appreciate, it's rather time consuming and if you want the sit, you're welcome!

Except for spelling or grammatical point of view, translation is an art and matter to controversy.
- I personally don't like "télécharger" as it doesn't tell if Up or Down but I admit that "récupérer" doesn't make very professional but I couldn't find a better word. We have now a new word "téléverser" for upload but I think it's really ugly.
- Éditer/Modifier/Changer for Edit/Modify/Change, they are synonim, I think it's a matter of habit, it depends on the french software you are used to practice. The same applies for enlever/supprimer/effacer/détruire for remove/suppress/erase/delete.

About accented capital letters:
- AZERTY keyboards don't have accented capital letters, you have to remember Alt sequences to get them (Á=Alt-181) or use charmap.exe or specialized software and frankly even if it may be worth to use them in some rare occasions where it helps to solve an ambigity, promoting their use is activism, IMHO very few french people feel concerned, I wasn't before release of Word95. Wink Adobe don't use them, Firefox, OpenOffice, WIKIPÉDIA does. The same apply for special characters like "œ", « » instead of " ", '…' instead of '...', even apostrophe ’ should be used instead of ' but they are not mapped on the keyboard, you have to use a word processor.

About punctuation:
- French rules tells that ':' and other dual part punctuation should be preceded by a non-breaking space, it's not the case in English I'm sometime confused.

Xavier MULLER
newlog

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Sep 19, 2014 09:32 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hello Xavier

May I suggest http://wordreference.com if you meet any translation problem?

There is nowadays little room for controversy as far as professional translations are concerned.
All the arguments you are putting forward have been discussed and settled long ago.
Only opensource non-pro people, especially in the CMS community (Drupal, Tipco, Joomla, etc.) rediscuss them endlessly.

I accept the sit of the French translation, thank you.

With efficient diff tools it should not be very time-consuming Smile
But because you did most of the job, I insist you be credited as the main translator, with myself as a revisor.

In this case I shall publish the translation rules, with due references (this will incidently answer all the questions you raised).

Regards
Fabrice
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: So Okt 12, 2014 23:24 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

@newlog: If you make much fixes then i have no problem to add you in the credits window too. I translate also the english languagefile (my native language is german) so i know how difficult it is to create a "perfect" translation. The important part is that you are connected with Xavier directly. If i change a french string then it will be reverted when Xavier sends me an updated languagefile from his PC.

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
newlog

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Okt 13, 2014 18:35 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

xmh hat Folgendes geschrieben:
...if you want the sit, you're welcome!

Xavier, if you still agree that I take over the FR translation, please let FJ know.

Smile

Fabrice
vodoomoth

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Okt 20, 2014 15:49 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Off-topic:

About accented capital letters:
- AZERTY keyboards don't have accented capital letters, you have to remember Alt sequences to get them (Á=Alt-181) or use charmap.exe or specialized software and frankly even if it may be worth to use them in some rare occasions where it helps to solve an ambigity, promoting their use is activism, IMHO very few french people feel concerned, I wasn't before release of Word95. :wink: Adobe don't use them, Firefox, OpenOffice, WIKIPÉDIA does. The same apply for special characters like "œ", « » instead of " ", '…' instead of '...', even apostrophe ’ should be used instead of ' but they are not mapped on the keyboard, you have to use a word processor.

Or you can also use a custom keyboard layout, which I have done and started offering on my website in 2011. People just have to spend the 40 seconds it takes to open the page, download the layout, unzip it and install it. Making it the default (and only) keyboard layout for fr-FR takes another entire minute though. I'm not sure why, but all of that seems to be too much effort.

The layout file was built with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, which is available for download for free from Microsoft. Google is the friend of anybody who doesn't trust executables grabbed from random websites. It takes half a day to learn and master that little utility.

[EDIT]Once installed, the layout works in all and every program without any user actions at all.[/EDIT]

Last, I believe Azerty doesn't have the accents because the people who designed it weren't the most fit for the task. In software, the makers are often American or the target market is often North America. Hence, faulty localization such as "mardi octobre 20, 2014" in forum software or the complete lack of it (such as in The Walking Dead game on Steam, which can only be played with a Qwerty layout).

and frankly even if it may be worth to use them in some rare occasions where it helps to solve an ambigity, promoting their use is activism, IMHO very few french people feel concerned

True, very few French people feel concerned. In general, grammar mistakes have become pervasive and as such, acceptable. "je suis surpris" in a woman's mouth makes me cringe and it should make any speaker cringe.

But no, it's not "activism". There's never been a published dictionary, grammar book or reference text that didn't have ALL accents where they were supposed to be, even on upper case characters. This should be enough argument for ruling out activism. Unless, one doesn't feel concerned ("l'orthographe est un détail"…). It's the rule: "L'accent a pleine valeur orthographique". We don't make them, we just have to abide by them.

Even if it were "activism", if there's anything that activism is called for, it's safeguarding a language that is ill-treated by its very speakers.

About punctuation:
- French rules tells that ':' and other dual part punctuation should be preceded by a non-breaking space, it's not the case in English I'm sometime confused.

Thank you for pointing out the "non-breaking" part of the rule. I hate to see it when there is a dangling colon at the beginning of some line on the Web because someone saw the "space" and left out the "non-breaking".

On-topic:
I hadn't been struck by the elements that @newlog pointed out. But I noticed that "Multi-synchronisation" had a capital letter and a hyphen when it actually shouldn't have any of these.
Disclaimer: I'm a software engineer, translator and publishing house manuscript editor.
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.